4.17.2011

sunday ramblings.

I like writing things just because. I rarely need a particular reason or topic. I just like letting some of my head out through my fingers. That's all. Really. Since I'm aware of this, I'm also aware of the fact that what I write has a tendency to be strings of seemingly unrelated things that carry no importance or meaning to anyone but me. I feel like I should apologize for this since this is a public blog and boring/confusing people isn't a very nice thing to do. However, in lieu of an apology, I'll offer this suggestion: "The following post is of no importance. Feel free to not read." There, now that my conscience is relieved, my writing will commence.

At this point, the only thing I think Delaware lacks is the ability to produce a good thunderstorm (and possibly a good whole foods type market). Other than that, I feel completely satisfied and content here. It's a nice feeling.

Weather is so peaceful in Delaware. I love sitting at my desk with the back sliding door open and just, listening. It's simultaneously a huge distraction and motivation when I'm trying to be productive. I can either listen to hours upon hours of raindrops, bird chatter, or rustling leaves. It is better than almost any of my Pandora stations (though Jason's David Crowder station is a tough competitor). Sometimes I forget how much listening to nature can calm my insides. It's a good Sunday.

If Jason and I were birds, I think we'd be cardinals. While I've been bonding with the cats by participating in their bird stalking (it is seriously addicting), I've noticed a few similarities between us and cardinals that I think would help make our transfer from human to bird smoother. Sure, there's the obvious fact that the guy is very attractive and eye-catching ('nough said) and the fact that the girl has a yellowish-brown tint (*insert brief explanation of racial [asian] skin coloring*). But besides that, I've noticed that cardinal pairs seem to need/want each other more than other birds (that is, compared to the other species in our backyard-ish area). The male typically arrives first to eat our generously tossed birdseed/bread crumbs. After a few seconds of cautious pecking, he will start calling for his mate (in between each bite, of course [he is male after all]). Peck, chirp, peck, chirp, peck, chirp. He will do this until his mate comes to join him. It doesn't matter if she comes within a few seconds or within a few minutes, he will call until she comes and then immediately stop. They will then eat in silence. It fascinates me for some reason. It's not like the male cardinal is calling to all birds that there is good feeding available. He just wants his mate to come join him. And she does. And as soon as they're both together, they're happy. And for some reason, it makes me inexplicably happy too.

They were doing baptisms at church today. It all had a very triumphant feel. It was good. Something I noticed was that the church provided everyone with shirts and shorts. My church didn't do that when I was baptized. I think my siblings and I all wore swimsuits underneath big, white t-shirts (possibly dad's old undershirts or just some over-sized shirts found on sale at Target?). Of course, I could be remembering my debut as a very non-prominent angel in a church Christmas play... It's hard to tell. Everything between the ages of 6 and 12 is kinda blurry and melded together. I wish I had consistently journaled back then. Anyway, because of the baptisms, the church service was done in a semi-reverse fashion with the message before the praise and worship. One of the things I like about this particular church is how they don't necessarily do everything in a traditional fashion or order. An example would be how they take the offering at the end of the service. We'll see how things go in the upcoming weeks.

This post is getting long so I'll just quickly throw out the following thoughts. Our stainless steel rice cooker is incredible, just further proving (to no one in particular) that stainless steel is >> stupid "non-stick." I still desperately need a haircut. I cannot win a game of foosball to save my life. I know there are only a handful of things to keep focus on to win, but I just can't seem to do it. Puma is absolutely adorable when he's sleeping. He's such a deceptive little fellow, but it just makes me love him more somehow. I feel like this doesn't make sense. Easter seems to be unusually late-coming this year. The tower of boxes that we've stacked for the cats' enjoyment is now 6 stories high. If Jason had pillow-hands, he would sleep on them. Chris Rice's song "Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus)" is really good. As is "Everything Falls" by Fee.

Sorrow may last for the night
But hope is rising with the sun
It's rising with the sun
There will be storms in this life
But I know You will overcome

When everything falls apart
Your arms hold me together
When everything falls apart
You´re the only hope for this heart
When everything falls apart
And my strength is gone
I find You mighty and strong
You keep holding on 


Good, good words.

I have a lot of other rambling things all squashed up inside my head, but I think I'll call it a day for now. So, summary!
- My fingers tend to type things that should hold the interest of no one but me.
- Peaceful insides can occur with or without thunderstorms.
- Jason does need a red tuft to be a cardinal.
- Water baptisms = !

PS: While I recognize that all things asian are awesome goes without saying, these asian silkie chickens are awesome + 2. Please look at their feet and squeal. Thank you. Anyone think these would be incredible pets for currently unborn little Vermettes?

1 comment:

  1. My station is awesome because it has other seeds besides just David Crowder.
    Also, I would totally wait to eat until you came to me to stop my chirping.

    ReplyDelete