3.22.2018

toddler tears

We take a momentary pause in our Ten-themed posts for a brief glimpse into the life and mind of Lucas.

Reason to melt down in blubbery tears #417: You want to name your work of art "The Unusual Scribble Picture" but your 3-year-old mind cannot figure out how to spell "unusual" and your mom is upstairs putting your brother down for a nap...

The best he could sound out was "UHN UZURA" and he knew it wasn't right, so I came downstairs to a sobbing kid bent over his picture saying, over and over, "Mommy, Mommy, I don't know how to do it. How do you spell unusual? Hoooow?" I had such a mix of emotions when I saw him - sadness that my boy was so torn, amusement that this was a crying moment at all, pride that he had made such a valiant and thoughtful effort at such a new and difficult word...

Lucas, you are my ever so unusual and incredibly special little boy. You amaze me every day with your brilliance and goodness and maturity. Never stop tackling the difficult things. Never be afraid to ask for help. Never stop trying. I love you, buddy. So much. All the way to Papua New Guinea and Lichtenstein and back.


No comments:

Post a Comment