11.05.2021

goldfish, down the hatch!

Today Sebastian accidentally knocked an entire open bag of goldfish crackers upside-down onto the open air vent. As I heard them pour down the vent, clinking and clanking as they went, I was so.annoyed. The first thing out of my mouth was an exasperated "Why would you do that?!"

Sigh.

It is such a pointless question to ask, especially of a 2-year-old. Why did he do that? Because he's not super aware of his surroundings and moves without thinking. Because he's human and he makes mistakes. Because he's a child, who is in need of grace on the daily.

It is such a pointless question and yet I hear myself asking it of one child or another at least once every.single.day. Inevitably, once the exasperation has worn off a bit, I hear myself and I find myself so annoyed by my reaction. It wasn't a big deal, probably less than a dollar's worth of crackers wasted, clearly a harmless accident. Why do I let my knee-jerk reaction be one of pointless shaming? Why would I do that?!

And then I hear myself. Again. Using the same phrase to shame myself for unthinkingly shaming my child not five minutes ago. 

Sigh. 

Why would I do that? Basically for the same reason my 2-year-old does things [only with a wee bit extra awareness of my surroundings]. Because I do and say things without thinking. Because I am an imperfect human who makes mistakes. Because I am a child of God who is in need of His grace on the daily.

I am so glad God's knee-jerk reaction is not an annoyed "Why would you do that?!" but rather a patient "I love you. Here's how I can help you make it right." So that is what I will work towards: Less shame, more grace, and not leaving open bags of snacks around.

Completely unrelated: We need to buy some more gold fish from Costco soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment